Sunday, December 17, 2006

Power Back On

The other day I mentioned to Santa Baby that I needed a break from blogging. Well, I forgot to say that a warm vacation in the tropics would be a nice way to relax. Instead, the Pacific Northwest was greeted with 90 mile an hour winds, and a million people left without power in frigid temperatures. Many still tonight are without heat. Our power came back on at 2:00 A.M. after being off for three days. Oh - how we do take for granted those comforts like hot baths, refrigerators, stoves and heat.

For a couple years now, many newsletters have advised on having our home prepared with survival goods. This was an excellent mini run that just showed how many are unprepared when Mother Earth has a major cleansing taking place. Around us, there were no markets open or gas to be found. Trees were down everywhere and hanging on power lines. We invested in a generator a couple of years ago, and I have to say, it was well worth it. The house was able to stay warm, a couple of lights were hooked up, and between the furnace on and off, we were able to keep the refrigerator cool. Tonight we have house guests who are still without power.

While listening to the radio the other night, it warmed my heart to hear people call in and offer their homes, firewood, and transportation to those in need. We have been slammed out here in the West the past few months. November brought record rainfall and severe flooding. We had barely recovered from that storm, when the Artic Freeze came in and we just thawed out from that storm, when this last one hit.
The most amazing thing to me is that I slept through this last storm. I can usually hear a pin drop at night and spend many nights awake - how I slept through this is a miracle in and of itself.

Santa really gave me a break. I think my consciousness left for the Milky Way that night and stayed in that galaxy while all the commotion was going on back here.

No comments: